Monday, November 05, 2007

White Flowers

White Flowers

Like the post of last week on Pink Flowers I had a few photos of white flowers hanging around and thought I would do a post on them. I really like white in the garden as it pretty much mixes with any other color for me. It looks good set off by a dark background. I am not a fan of all white gardens but that is just personal taste, I would never put someone down for having one.

I always thought this first plant was called Star Jasmine but I have found out that is more correctly called Angelwing Jasmine. The scientific name is Jasminum nitidum and it has several other synonyms including Shining Jasmine and Confederate Jasmine. I guess calling it Star Jasmine is okay since I found several references with that name, but there are several other plants that have that name also. Maybe some of the Zone 9 and above gardeners can chime in on the best common name. I have been growing this one at work and it grew well this year and was blooming when I moved it back inside a couple of weeks ago. The flowers really have a nice scent and it doesn’t seem to require too much care. It is suppose to bloom at night but mine usually has flowers open during the day as this picture was taken around midday.

Here is a link to more information on growing Jasmine outdoors, something I can’t do.

Floridata Jasimine Page


This second white flower is an unnamed Orchid that showed up as a gift to the greenhouse. It has been around for over a year and just started blooming again. I don’t know anything about it other than it has been blooming for a long time. I think the yellow leaves are an adjustment to the conservatory after spending the summer outside.


Finally this is the cushion mum, Alexis. I couldn’t find any information on this one. It was a good performer this year and I think I will take it out of the container and plant it in the ground. It looks almost yellow when the buds are coming out and then goes to white.

My watch stopped working on Saturday. I guess it was like me and didn’t want to go off Daylight Savings Time. It sure got dark early yesterday. Now I have to try and find a battery for it. It has been a good watch that lasted three years, which is probably a record for me. Despite my protests Karen bought an expensive watch so it is not disposable.

7 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Angelwing Jasmine is a lovely, poetic name. What beautiful flowers.

Just wondering: do night-blooming flowers every blossm in shady areas?

(The white theme here reminds me of some white hosta I encountered at Topsmead in Litchfield. Oh, the fragrance!)

Mark said...

Hi Chris,
Dont you think it is a bit harsh to 'put someone down'Just because they like white flowers....lol
Great images you are really giving that macro some workout.

Cheers Mark

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi sandy, The jasmine bloomed in a light shade so I think it is possible. I grew some Moonflower this year and that was the first night bloomer I have grown in a long time.

Mark,

Nice to hear from you. I was thinking about you the other day and I will have to get over to your site. thanks for reminding me. I said, I would 'never' put someone down for having a white garden, or any other garden for that matter.

I hope my 60mm macro doesn't wear out, I have been using it a lot.

Priscilla George said...

I love how striking yet not gaudy white flowers are. I love the jasmines. I've been wanting to get a jasmine. I got a cutting from a women but it is drying out on me so I don't think it will live. I've had bad luck with orchids but they are beautiful. Good luck with you gift orchid. The pretty mums they are so fluffy looking. I like how the mums are yellow on the inside. Day lights saving was only good for the extra hour of sleep. It's 5 here and the sun is starting to go down.

Muum said...

love those jasmines, too. I have one I've hauled in and out for two winters, it comes in and looks horrible all winter, then I set it out in the spring and it recovers and blooms - a miracle. I enjoyed your 'white' pics.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

VL, don't give up on the Jasmine as they are easy to root.

mumm, I won't be worried now if the Jasmine gets roughed up in the greenhouse. Thanks for the tip.

Unknown said...

What a lovely blog. I too am very interested in learning about flowers. My interest is in digital painting and if you have time could you take a look at my blog. I'm trying to identify a particular type of berry if that's what they are called. I took the photo called purple berries in Japan. Thanks for any input you may have.

jeri lynn
http://digitalpaintingtips.blogspot.com/