Monday, November 19, 2007

More Japanese Maples

More Japanese Maples

Since the Japanese Maples seem to be popular I thought I would post a couple of more that I shot on Friday. I have been calling this tree ‘Octopus’ for about 15 years now. I am sure that is the way it was sold. However research on the internet seems to point to ‘Octopus’ to being a red leafed cultivar. Oh boy. It seems to have some of the characteristics of ‘Octopus’, as it has very deeply dissected leaves and is short with a lot of congested branching. I will have to post these over at the UBC forums to see if anyone knows what this tree actually is. It is a nice tree no matter what is called. It was fairly big when I planted it and between the deer eating it and pruning it is about 3.5 feet tall and has a spread of about 7-8 feet. It has a large caliper, the trunk is about 6 inches across at the base. Like a lot of the green leafed JMs it gets an orange/yellow fall color. This tree is in at least half shade so I don’t think it colors as well as it would in full sun.


'Red Pygmy' Strap Leaved Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum 'Red Pygmy')

This next one is ‘Red Pygmy’ and it seems to be a dwarf. This is planted right next to a stream and it seems to like it. The leaves are strap like and turn this bronzy color in the fall. It holds on to its red color well into the summer.

Since I posted a picture of Ruby the Border Collie a couple of weeks ago I thought I would post a picture of my other dog. This is Molly. She is a 12 year old pure bred Siberian Husky. Both of her parents were red colored, so while she is mostly white and black this time of year she gets some red highlights. She is looking a little sad as she has figured out she isn’t going to work. This dog lives to go to work and she is friends with the other dogs on the Estate. She is still young at heart and doesn't act her age.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never tire of pictures of Japanese maples. They are all so beautiful and subtly different! Nice dog!

SandyCarlson said...

These are marvelous. Japanese maples are graceful, elegant trees.

So's you pooch!

God bless.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Molly the snowdog is very cute! Do you ever lose sight of her outside in the snow at night?

Oswegan said...

Nice light.

~Oswegan

WendyB said...

What a sweet dog!

Priscilla George said...

Interesting maples, their leaves are more spindly. Your dog is cute, I love huskies they are so very beautiful. I have a shiba inu she looks like a mini dingo, or a fox without the black and a curly tail.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi layanee and sandy, The Japanese Maples are extra extraordinary this year.

mr. mac's daughter, Molly sure does love the snow. She has enough color to see her in the snow. One time I left her outside when it started to snow and when I went to get her she had about 2 inches on top of her and was loving it.

oswegan and wendyb, thanks.

VL, my friend has a shiba inu and she is so cute. You are right it looks just like a fox.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are extraordinary, digital flower!